I have to say that Ben and I have had very high aspirations this summer when it has come to camping. We imagined ourselves going several times a month . . . and trying out new places that would be a little adventuresome. We both really like camping . . . and so we liked talking about all the things we would do . . . as a family:)
I'm not quite sure why it is already the middle of July and this weekend was our FIRST trip out to the wilderness . . . but it was. We thought we would have a trial run. Go somewhere relatively close by . . . just camp one night . . . easy meals . . . etc. We wanted to see how the kids would do . . . well mainly how Gwen would do:). We went to Diamond Fork.
At the beginning, things were going GREAT! We built a fire, cooked hot dogs, etc. Then when we were putting up our tent we realized Gwen needed her diaper changed . . . she smelled terrible! I went to get the stuff I needed only to find that we had forgotten her diapers and wipes at home . . . along with our toothbrushes, extra clothes, and soap. We were RELATIVELY close by (60 minutes roundtrip) but it didn't seem worth it to go home and then come back. Luckily, Ben found some people in the campground who had kids . . . and diapers to spare! We were in luck. We could deal w/o toothbrushes and soap and extra clothes . . . we're pretty tough:)

We enjoyed the rest of our evening hiking and eating smores! We were all having a great time. Finally it was dark, we were tired, and it was time for bed. The girls went to bed really well (Gwen only cried for a minute and then sucked her thumb while looking at the stars through the top of the tent). I was so excited! We were going to be able to do more of this! A few hours into the night . . . Gwen woke up:( She not only woke up . . . she wanted to SING (mostly "I Am a Child of God"), TALK, and who knows what else. This went on for HOURS as Ben tried to help her fall asleep in his sleeping bag. I REALLY like to sleep at night . . . so of course this was killing me!
We enjoyed the rest of our evening hiking and eating smores! We were all having a great time. Finally it was dark, we were tired, and it was time for bed. The girls went to bed really well (Gwen only cried for a minute and then sucked her thumb while looking at the stars through the top of the tent). I was so excited! We were going to be able to do more of this! A few hours into the night . . . Gwen woke up:( She not only woke up . . . she wanted to SING (mostly "I Am a Child of God"), TALK, and who knows what else. This went on for HOURS as Ben tried to help her fall asleep in his sleeping bag. I REALLY like to sleep at night . . . so of course this was killing me!
4 comments:
We had some similar adventures at the Arrington family reunion camp out in June. Parker was just two months old so he was pretty placid, although very hot during the day with nowhere to cool him down . . . I think one night is a good length of time for campouts with young children!! Congrats!
you are such a great story teller...i love that gwen started singing, you little girls are such little angels! you all are so fun to hang out with, i hope i can see you this weekend! Love you!
I enjoyed the You Tube clip. That was pretty funny. I love camping too but somehow camping with babies is just more work than fun. The kodak moments turned out out cute though! :) What you write about Halle reminds me so much of Mack. Also, I loved when you wrote a while back about being religious about putting your kids to bed early. During school we are totally like that too except sometimes I put down closer to 6. Our kids need at least 12 hours of sleep at night or they cannot function without major DRAMA.
We have been considering camping for a while since the older 2 kids would love it, but I've been dreading the thought with a one year old. After reading about your long night, I was sure I would face one equally as difficult and we got the kids to happily settle for backyard camping! As I type Meg and Ben are out in the backyard in the tent with Daddy after a night of marshmallow roasting on our propane powered fire pit... easy, lazy, or smart? I don't know... but, I do know that I'll be getting some great sleep tonight with a baby in a crib and a whole king-sized bed to myself!! Jen
Post a Comment