December 29, 2008

Christmas . . . To Give or to Give More?


I think my girls had a great christmas!  They loved the lights, the tree and of course all the food! They loved getting presents . . . and were so excited for everyone to open presents that they picked out.

Apparently though, my plan with distracting Abby from the American Girl doll with other gifts from her list did not work.  At the end of the day . . . she was still wondering why Santa didn't bring her the gift she had specifically asked him for . . . the thing that she wanted the most.
Abby still really believes in Santa . . . and doesn't understand why he didn't just make the doll in his workshop and give it to her.  He gave it to other girls.   She told me that she knew that "I" couldn't buy it for her because it was $105.  I asked her how she knew how much it was . . . she told me that she saw it in the catalog.  I told her that maybe Santa just knew that she didn't play with dolls all that much and must have figured she would use her other gifts more often.
I have to say . . . I feel terrible.  I feel like we are in a version of the Christmas Story movie, and Abby is a nice little girl that asks Santa for something . . . only the movie doesn't end right!  She didn't get her doll!  Ben feels like she will be fine, and that disappointment is healthy . . . especially where she did get other things she asked for.  I agree that it is fine for kids to not get EVERYTHING they ask for.   But since she didn't get MOST of the things on her list . . . and since the American Girl doll apparently was the most wanted gift . . . I feel like this is a terrible situation!  20 years from now . . . she will remember this Christmas because of the disappointment!  What have I done?
I am tempted to find a doll now . . . and then put it under the tree . . . hidden away in the back corner.  And then, when we take the Christmas tree down, Abby will find it . . . and maybe think it was there all along?????  HELP?????  Do I let this go or fix it?????

4 comments:

Shanna Barnhisel said...

I would say let it go. I am sure that the doll will be forgotten soon enough as most toys are with kids. Maybe she could "Find" a letter from Santa under the tree explaining why he chose to give her something else. But either way, you are a good mom and whatever you do will be fine.

Lizzy said...

Let it go, Shelley . . . I almost never got what I wanted for Christmas, and I still love my parents :) It's totally healthy. She won't understand until she understands the Santa thing, but then it will be good for her to see your example of being responsible with your money. Even if she remembers the disappointment, there's no way it would be remembered with resentment (because she said herself that she knew you couldn't afford it and obviously understood and was ok with that). You are such a thoughtful good mom! You make everything special for them, but that doesn't mean you have to make everything perfect!

AO said...

I say it's okay to let it go. I didn't always get everything I wanted for Christmas....and still don't :) The important thing is to at least get something fun for Christmas, but this IS coming from a 31 year old frugal Christmas person.... most people I know spend WAY more on Christmas than Ryan and I have ever even thought of..... good luck! Keep me posted on what happens.

Melinda H. said...

I also hardly ever got what I wanted for Christmas. But then again, maybe I did. I don't even remember what I asked for. Maybe you could get it for her birthday if she is still upset about it. My six year old, Austin, made a new a list every single day. So of course he didn't get hardly anything on his list. Hunter, my 9 year old, forgot to make a list. He told me this on Christmas Eve and I suggested that he doesn't make a list because then he will be more surprised with the gifts he did get and not the ones he didn't get that were on his list. He agreed and had a great Christmas. Austin on the otherhand was disappointed that he didn't get ANYTHING on his lists. So I told him that Santa will come and take back all of his toys if he's not grateful for what he has. If they want a specific toy they can earn it and buy it. They get an allowance. I think that it is so crazy that you've ended up with all girls, besides the one on the way, and I have all boys. Where are you guys living? Sorry for the novel.