September 1, 2011

Family Theme

School has started! Summer has been fun . . . but I really like the routine of school, the cooler weather I know is coming, the holidays. I LOVE fall. I can't wait for it to come back as soon as it leaves.

This year we decided to try something new in our family. There are so many things out there that have "themes". There is a yearly Young Women theme, EFY has yearly themes . . . so I thought . . . maybe our family should have a yearly theme as well. I am hoping that this will add some focus on what we want to teach our children and bring unity to our family.

So . . . this year . . . our family theme is "I Will Go and Do". This comes from 1 Nephi 3:7 in the Book of Mormon. To kick off our theme to the kids, I gave them each a "fancy" journal with the theme written inside the cover. I'm hoping this will help remind of them of our theme throughout the year.

Our plan with having a "theme" is to refer to it once a month . . . maybe by using it as the focus for a Family Home Evening once a month. The idea is to come up with many ways throughout the year to teach the idea that "I Will Go and Do". Hopefully this will be fun and memorable . . . and hopefully our kids will learn something too. I'm hoping that in time, once they catch on to what we are doing, they will look forward to our new theme each year. I'm keeping an ongoing list of future theme ideas!

Happy New School Year!!!