September 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Ben

Ben turned 31 today!  We are finally the same age . . . for a couple months at least.  I hope Ben enjoyed his birthday . . . considering the mishaps we had.  We have a birthday breakfast/present opening tradition at our house.  That part seemed to go well.  The girls are always so excited for someone to open their presents!  Ben went to work during the day, and then we were going to have a birthday dinner at night.  Halle and I made his cake . . . and then I got the great idea to try making a homemade carmel sauce.  I found a recipe and it said I could leave a sugar/water mixture to boil for about 10 minutes (unless I read it wrong which is completely possible).  I got the mixture to boil, set the timer for 10 minutes, and went downstairs.  10 minutes later I heard the timer  go off.  I went upstairs to find that I could barely see anything!  There was SO MUCH SMOKE!  The sugar/water mixture had turned into something that looked like black lava.  After taking it off the stove and opening every window and door possible, the smoke left after a while.   I have a terrible cold right now and can't even breathe through my nose most of the time . . . which means I really can't smell anything.  But apparently . . . our house still smells like a campfire that went wrong and I'm not quite sure how to get the smell out.   Happy Birthday Ben! And sorry about the rolls that went wrong too . . . it really does help to add all of the ingredients.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

wow--that sounds like quite the busy day! Im glad ben had a good birthday...im sure the girls were so excited! ...did you end up having a costume party?
love you! ~Rebekah

Lizzy said...

Oh my gosh, that is the funniest! Such is life . . . so many opportunities to laugh!

Grandma Walters said...

Ben, at least you were here to celebrate another birthday, a blessing, right? When we had smoke from someone who had smoked in Our house (was NOT SUPPOSED TO!) we went to the fire department and they gave us some liquid to spray and it took the smell right out! Good luck, of course this blog is so old that I am sure your house smells like roses and you are over your cold, Shellie!