April 17, 2012

Dog

Luckily my kids were NOT in the car with me!
I was driving on a busy 4 lane road this afternoon.
I didn't see the little dog running across the road until the last minute.
It was too late to stop and I was hoping that if I kept moving the dog would stay in the middle of the car . . . and not get hit by the tires.
And then I felt my right tire roll over something.

I felt awful. I still feel awful.

I stopped the car right there in the lane. I wasn't sure about what to do. I got out and looked back and saw that poor little dog laying on the ground. His back legs twitched for a minute or two . . . and then stopped moving.

I was waiting to hear crying kids or an angry owner to come and yell at me.
But no one came.
A man who was waiting at the crosswalk came and just picked up the dog by the legs like a rabbit and walked away with it.
He didn't even look at me.
I couldn't tell if he was the owner or not . . . or if he was upset or not.

I realized I was blocking traffic . . . so I just got back in my car and drove away.

How awful!
I am so sorry!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh how sad! When I saw the title of your post I thought you were going to say that you got your kids a dog! I'm the glad the kids weren't with you, that would have been so much worse.

Tami said...

I'm sorry! Things like that are so hard for me to forget and move on from. :(

Jim and Nina said...

Oh, I am so sorry.