December 24, 2013

New Pet


For Christmas, Halle has asked for a dog for the last 5 or 6 years.
I am NOT a dog person, so . . . she has never gotten one.
Sometimes I think about the movie Lady and the Tramp, and really want to give Halle a puppy . . . in a box . . . as a gift under the Christmas tree.  
But then I have to remind myself about the day after Christmas. . . and what having a dog really means.
And when I do that . . . I remember that a dog is out of the question.

I was visiting a neighbor sometime toward the end of October, 
and she was telling me how they had been given a guinea pig.  
She showed it to me, and told me how she took care of it.
It was actually a pretty cute animal, and it sounded like something I could take care of.
I went home and thought how maybe we could get Halle a pet after all.
Not a dog, but something more than a goldfish.

I did A LOT of research.
I needed to know what I would really be getting myself into.
I checked out a couple books from the library, and spent a lot of time on-line.
After all that, I still felt like this could be an animal that I could handle!

I checked out KSL classifieds and stumbled on a baby girl guinea pig being sold . . . with the option of the owner taking care of her up until Christmas Eve!
She had the colorings that I liked, and was still too little to have any real bad habits to break.
My Aunt Phyllis offered a cage.  She also offered to watch her for a couple days before Christmas (to keep her in hiding)!  It all worked out perfect!


So we did it!  
We bought Halle a guinea pig and picked her up from her owners the weekend before Christmas.  
She was 9 weeks old when we picked her up!
We dropped her off with my Aunt Phyllis who would take care of her until Christmas Eve.


My parents were visiting for Christmas!
They brought her down to us on Christmas Eve.
Ben took the kids out for a little while in the afternoon 
so my Dad could sneak our new pet into our basement.




We snuck her in and felt pretty sneaky!



It was kind of like bringing a new baby home.
We had all these pet supplies and were so excited . . . and yet not really sure how it would go:)
We'll see how this goes! 
 I know this might seem silly, but getting this pet is REALLY adventuresome for me!




No comments: